Paris Saint-Germain has reportedly paid a portion of Leo Messi’s welcoming package in its own fan token – $PSG.
- As it became well-known recently, Lionel “Leo” Messi couldn’t continue his contract with his previous team Barcelona as the club failed to stay within the financial limits incorporated by La Liga.
- Paris Saint-Germain, arguably the wealthiest soccer team these days, rushed to swoop in and offered a 2+1 contract to the six-time Ballon D’Or winner.
- The Argentinian has apparently agreed as he signed the contract and is already in Paris, where thousands of fans were eager to meet him.
- Now, though, reports emerge with more details about the deal. The most recent one from Reuters indicated that Messi had received a portion of the “welcome package” (the signing on fee) in the team’s cryptocurrency fan token – $PSG. The payment was made by the token provider – Socios.com.
- Although the club has failed to disclose the precise amount Messi got via the $PSG token, it said it was a “large number.”
- These fan tokens have skyrocketed in popularity recently, and the $PSG one actually jumped in price as well, as Messi’s signing was in the works. The team acknowledged this in its latest statement:
“The hype surrounding the latest signings in the club’s busy summer transfer window created a huge surge of interest in $PSG Fan Tokens, with trading volumes exceeding $1.2 billion in the days preceding the move.”
- Interestingly, the news that Messi has received $PSG has not positively impacted the token’s price yet. The coin is down by more than 6% in the past 24 hours.
Featured Image Courtesy of Hindustan Times
Binance Futures 50 USDT FREE Voucher: Use this link to register & get 10% off fees and 50 USDT when trading 500 USDT (limited offer).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to get 50% free bonus on any deposit up to 1 BTC.